Coil Vessel



Coil Vessel
Insert post construction photo:

Describe what you liked about the coil process of building:
It was rhythmic so there wasn't much stopping which made working a lot easier than say the slab where we were constantly cutting and putting things together. I also like how it looks at the end as well as how simple it was do the undulation. 
Describe your frustrations:
There was a point as I worked on the neck where it wasn't going so well and an entire section had to be peeled off because of I
did not blend it correctly so that was frustrating. Also as I worked on the last coils, it kept on thinning and I had to put on
another backing coil.

Did your original idea change? If yes what changes occurred?
It did not chain in terms of the form of the piece but more of the design. Originally I was considering putting something extra on the side but since I ran out of time it changed to being slip trails that I am actually quite happy about.

How could you have constructed better?
I think that I would have tried to work on smoothing it out better since after I got it back, you could see the marks from where I blended. Another thing would have been working on the inside of the lip a bit more to make it look more like one piece rather than a bunch of extra coils put on the original one. 
Screenshot of your glaze of choice.

Insert Pre Fired Glaze Photo

(I'm sorry I don't have a pre-fired glaze photo because I finished glazing last min)

Insert post Fired Glaze Photo


Glaze Record:

2 Coats Indigo float over 2
coats of Temmoku.

1 drip coat of Indigo float.

Glaze application:
Applied horizontally all over. then drips over
the lip and then under the designs.
Describe your final result.  Was it what you expected? (better or worse)
My final result wasn't really what I was expecting but I was happy with it. I thought the Temmoku might turn out to be more metallic because of the indigo float but it actually ended up being more brown. I do like the way it looks though. 
How could you have glazed better?
If you look at the final you can see that in some places the coat is definitely lacking so I think that I could make sure that it turns out more even. I think that I could also maybe have added some contrasting color so that the design pops more instead of blending into the colors.

How could the teacher have taught the unit better?
I think maybe there could be a little more on color choice and giving some examples on combinations of glaze that could involve highlighting areas in a third color (maybe). But for the most part the lessons made sense and were easy to follow.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tripod Mug

Final Reflection

My Independent Writing Project: The School of Fighting Arts Against Demonkind