Woven Bowl


Woven Bowl Blog Post
Construction
Photo 1: Entire piece

Photo 2: Rim/finish
Photo 3: Detail


Reflection:  
Describe what you enjoyed about the weaving technique.
It was actually really therapeutic to go back and forth constantly and after the first few folds you start to see what you’ve been working on and it becomes really easy to be proud of what youve done.

What did you find difficult in the construction process and why?
There were two things that I found difficult, one was making sure that the coils didnt break as I weaved them and figuring out what to put on the lip finish. I didn’t want to leave it an empty block but I wasn’t sure about what I wanted it to look like for a while so it was difficult to figure out.
Glaze Record
Weave: Amaco High Fire - Oil Spot 3 coats

Finish: Amaco high fire - Indigo Float 3 coats

Detail: Amaco high fire - Oatmeal 3 coats
Pre-fire glaze photo
Post-fire glaze photo


Final Reflection
Describe your thoughts regarding the final results of your piece:
I think that the glaze work is really sloppy on the edges between the rim finish and the rim. I really wish that I had put some more time into cleaning it up and making it look perfect. What I do like is how the sand dollar turned out. I think that the overall piece looks decent it just needs some cleaning up.

Which areas do you think you need more practice?
I’ve had trouble with glazing in the past and again it’s still something that I’m struggling at so I think that it’s what I should practice.

What would you change about your design?
There’s one part of the finish that is very spread out, if I could I’d go back and shorten that area and add another coil to the area.

What areas of the project do you think you needed more clarification or instruction and why?
I think the glazing of the finish could be better explained. A lot of people have finishes that look like they’ve been weaved through which makes glazing difficult if you don’t know how to do it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tripod Mug

Final Reflection

My Independent Writing Project: The School of Fighting Arts Against Demonkind