Author’s Note Dear Reader, The idea for this may seem a bit strange at first, but I urge you to give it a shot. It’s not as weird as you think. It came to me in the middle of class while I was discussing a different topic in a critique group. So many people at SAS are mixed, part Asian, part something else; I began to think: what if there was a girl just like that in a story? And, of course, not just your typical coming of age story where the girl finally comes to terms with being half one culture and half another. More of a girl who knew who she was but was held back because people were scared of her. And thus the character Amani Kearny was born. Writing her was fun and after a certain point, it was like I wasn’t typing. There’s a certain way Amani talks — loads of sarcasm along with the barest hints to what she actually feels— that makes her feel like a lot of the people that I talk to on a daily basis. Which is most likely why it was so interesting. If I had...
Comments
Post a Comment