Museum/Gallery Visit 2
These pieces are from the Art Institute of Chicago.
This first piece shows what I think is one aspect of shelter and I want to be able to put this kind of image into my own work. One of my main takeaways is that working on a small sculpture can really hit home seeing as though this piece really brought me a small sense of awe when I got to see it in person a couple of summers ago. Another thing is that there are places that you can center detail in order to make a sculpture elegant such as the folds on the legs versus the simplicity in the torso. I think it's given me some ideas in where to put my effort when creating a piece.
This piece is a lot more abstract, it's very simple and yet still very intriguing to look at, and that element of interest is kind of cool. There are very simple shapes, the cube, and the wheel but there is also a natural element to it with the branches. I may incorporate that angular but natural aspect in my work next semester, going out onto campus and collecting materials. I think like the other piece it's a really good example of not overloading the piece with lots of detail just for the sake of it and when looking back at my work from this semester I think that it would be good to take the insight into the future.


Comments
Post a Comment