Coil Vessel



 

Coil Vessel
Insert post construction photo:
(Forgot it… sorry!)
Describe what you liked about the coil process of building:
I think that it’s really easy to fall into a rhythm with coil building and being able to watch it build up to become something is what I really enjoy.

Describe your frustrations:
There was a point as I was cleaning my piece that it popped off the base and I was very very angry because of it. We were able to fix it but it put me a little farther behind than I wanted to be.
Did your original idea change? If yes what changes occured?
It did change a little. Originally it was meant to have a complete cut out with a slab in the back with some cut out gears on there. After finishing the piece though I thought it made more sense to just have a small cut out and glue on gears after it was fired so that it would look better and be more structurally sound.


How could you have constructed better?
I could have smoothed it more and focused on how I was compressing it as it grew taller so that I wouldn’t have run into the issue that I did with the base. Another thing would be slipping and scoring my little details better so that the one that fell off wouldn’t have.
Screenshot of your glaze of choice and glaze description.
LG 65 Amber and Duncan Luster Cold
Insert Pre Fired Glaze Photo
Insert Post Fired Glaze Photo
Glaze Record:
3 Coats LG 65 Amber
Duncan Luster Gold
Glaze application:
Brushed on
Describe your final result.  Was it what you expected? (better or worse)
I’m actually really happy with the final result! It turned out even better than I thought it would. As I was planning I was worried about losing the wood grain texture or not having enough gleam on the gold but I don’t think that was an issue in the final and despite the couple off mess ups during the building process the figure of the piece also stayed quite nice.
How could you you have glazed better?
My glaze does look quite faded on the inside of the rim so i think maybe adding a few more coats of the drip would be good. Also maybe focusing on the little ridges on the piece just to avoid the larger dark spots from not enough coats.  
How could the teacher have taught the unit better?
Like we’re doing for our final this year, maybe we could have an extensive plan? Like an issue was the fact that we were so tight on time maybe blocking out the schedule ahead of time would help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tripod Mug

Final Reflection

My Independent Writing Project: The School of Fighting Arts Against Demonkind