Gallery Visit # 2

Another gallery that I visited over the summer was the one at the Dallas Museum of Art. It's actually the art gallery that I went to the most when I was in middle and elementary school. It's not as big as the museum in Chicago but, it's one that's very near and dear to me. I got the chance to spend the whole day there and I was able to visit most of the rooms including Islamic Art, African Art, Surrealism and more.

It's Hot By Coreen Mary Spellman

This was one of the pieces that really caught my eye as I was walking through. Next to artfully colored paintings, it stuck out to me because of its simplicity. One thing that it taught me was that you don't need to go overboard with details in order to convey your message. Sometimes the message can be done artfully and cleanly. I used that in one of my sustained investigations actually. Another thing that I really took away from looking at the piece was how to make an engaging figure. The pose and the content of this piece make you want to look more. It's ever so slightly off from the normal world (it's enough to catch your attention) and when you look at it only gets more interesting. I want to apply this to my work in order to make it eye-catching. 

Lady with a Red Hat by Frank Duveneck

Lady with a Red Hat was another piece that I really got stuck on when walking through the hallways of the gallery. When I was in Dallas i had begun to explore with a heavily blended style, figuring out where I wanted to go with definition and colors and this piece really gave me some tips. One thing that I took was that making the background more blurred forces the attention on the main figure. I have a few ideas for more work next semester that I could potentially apply that idea to. Another is the lighting. I've had countless issues with figuring out how to get the lighting correct in my work and this piece really shows how sometimes there is not lots of light, maybe only a few small highlights and that is what makes it look all the more real. 

I always love getting the chance to go back to this museum and I'm really glad that this assignment pushed me into visiting after 3 years! There were so many amazing pieces but the two that I chose were the ones that really stood out to me and contributed the most to my sustained investigation which is why I chose to highlight them. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tripod Mug

Final Reflection

My Independent Writing Project: The School of Fighting Arts Against Demonkind